Tuesday 16 August 2011

Thing 12: Putting the Social into Social Media

Social Media is my friend. Honestly, it is!  How else would I have made so many contacts in the library world so quickly? I've got into contact with a whole host of people during cpd23 that I don't think I'd have had the opportunity to meet otherwise. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the National Library of Wales is a very unique place to work and as such doesn't really give me the chance to associate with people outside the National Library. Which is all well and good if you have a job for life, (I suppose, though I'm rather curious about how other places work and would probably still like to know about other libraries) I'm on a fixed term contract and as the National Library is neither an Academic Library or a Public Library keeping up to date with what's going on in either of these sphere's is rather difficult.

Therefore cpd23, twitter and so on have all been incredibly helpful for me. I even got the chance to meet some people for real because of cpd23! And if it wasn't for the fact that I'd made contact with people through Twitter because of the Gregynog Colloquium I'd never have known about cpd23. Which would have been a terrible pity as I've learnt a lot of interesting stuff and I'm also getting into the habit of keeping my blog (which I'd never had before) updated. I'm hoping I can keep this up after cpd23 comes to an end, although I doubt it'll be updated quite as often as it is now. The same goes for my Twitter account. I think that Social Networking does help to foster a certain sense of community in the library world. Maybe it's not the same as "real life" but it certainly gives you the opportunity to get to know a lot of different people and get a lot of different perspectives on stuff.

Of course there are some disadvantages, such as people knowing an awful lot about you. But then again that's not necessairily a bad thing at this point in time. It might even help me get a job in the future. Maybe, possibly, hopefully... I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff that could be said about Thing 12 but I can't think about them at this precise second therefore *presses "PUBLISH POST".*

0 comments: